Date:      Sun, 27 Jan 2002 20:25:30 -0500
From:      "Joe & Fhe Barbish" <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
To:        <cole@acenet.co.za>
Cc:        "FBSD Questions" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Ftp problems

This subject 'Re: UDMA and 100Mbit NIC speed issues' started
out on your question but has since faded into disk speed.
Look for subjects that say something about speed of Nic card
or upload ftp performance. There has been 4 or 5 threads in
the last 2 weeks on this subject. But to summarize,
the problem seems to be with any Nic card in a FBSD system
that ends up sharing a irq with some other device has
performance degradation. Look for a  shared IRQ between the AGP
Slot and the 1st PCI slot. A FBSD gateway/fireway server does not
need a AGP video card.

I put in a cheap isa vga video card and the Nic slow down went away.
If you are testing using Winbox ftp then get ftp-pro
from www/ipswitch.com it's the fastest ftp win client on the market.