Date:      Fri, 5 Mar 2004 18:55:35 +0000
From:      Daniela <dgw@liwest.at>
To:        Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Most wanted

On Friday 05 March 2004 13:51, Narvi wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Mar 2004, Daniela wrote:
> > >
> > > Not necessarily true. You won't be able to perform any platform
> > > specific optimizations, but in general cross platform code is not any
> > > slower than platform specific code. Three examples: NetBSD, Linux
> > > kernel, Qt. Neither NetBSD nor Linux are considered "slow" by any
> > > stretch of the imagination. Qt is impresively fast, and is only called
> > > "sluggish" by biased trolls.
> >
> > I'm not speaking of your average code, I'm speaking of high-speed
> > assembly language programs.
>
> and how many millions of lines of that have you written and maintained?
> Are you sure it would not be faster if it was re-written in C and compiled
> ?

It would be faster to write and maintain (at least for most people), but it
would not run faster. C is fine for projects other than fast, small
libraries. I also like shellscript, but only if speed and size are not
critical.
I have not even written a million code lines yet, as I'm only 16 years old and
have one and a half year of programming experience. But I love that low-level
stuff so much that I already think in ASM.
I did not intend to troll around or start another holy war, I was just
expressing my opinion.