Date:      Fri, 03 Dec 1999 08:58:49 +0800
From:      "aLan Tait" <aLan@fil.net>
To:        Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Chat Only???

Bill Fumerola wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Dec 1999, aLan Tait wrote:
>
> > IRC TCP ports 6659-6670 and 7000
>
> ... and when I make a SOCKS proxy, ssh forwarding, ssh+ppp or some
> such thing on one of those ports at work and get a (probably cheaper)
> "chat-only" account, I'd thank you for the service.
>
> If you really want to offer this (in my opinion, stupid) service
> you'll need to provide proxy servers for ALL of those services
> and only allow your clients to connect to your proxy machine.
>
> --

It is a marketing tool to boost revenue in an immature
market where most people have a hard time setting up Win98
dial-up networking with all the defaults!

I myself agree that it is a bit of a "stupid" service.  On
the other hand, the old adage, "the customer is always
right" comes in to play.  95% of Internet services where I
am are sold for "chatting."  The reason is because you can't
do anything else with the low quality bandwidth!

We charge P40 (US$1.00) per hour for the only serious
Internet connections in this province - something you can
actually surf on during peak times at about 6-10Kbps.  The
other five ISP give garbage connections (peak time 500 bps
or lower) for P30 (US$0.75) an hour.  We are losing money,
they are making a profit.  The reason is CHAT.

CHAT doesn't take a lot of bandwidth, people here really
type to each other!  (How many files can you transfer at 200
bps?) I plan to limit our "Chat Only" service, say 2,000
bps, via a dummynet pipe based on their IP address (which
would also limit throughput to anyone bright enough to use
the "cheap connection" for SOCKS).

By offering a "Chat Only" service, I am really trying to
offer a 2 Kbps connection "restricted" to chat for marketing
purposes.  I (that is me, myself) wanted to just offer a
"slow, low cost connection good for chatting", however,
currently people are complaining about the "bad" connections
at Speed Online (speed.com.ph) who, according to them,
offers "the fastest real time connection direct to the
Internet Core" (Whatever that means and after a half dozen
pops (and ISPs) just to get out of the Philippines!)

Don't blame me for their slogan... I had to go help them
with their DNS because they were flooding my NT server (I
love my new FreeBSD box with Bind 8 - the first ten seconds
of operation blocked and logged hundreds of requests from
their network - which they had to fix themselves!  Thank You
FreeBSD!)

I'm told by my partner (who handles marketing) that if we
offer a "slow, low cost connection good for chatting" it
will certainly be compared to Speed Online "high speed"
connection.  If we offer a "SUPER HIGH SPEED CHAT ONLY
SERVICE" at 66% of their cost, we just might do a bit
better!  "Super High Speed" being 2 Kbps compared to their
200-500 bps.

If someone wants to take the time to connect to a SOCKS
proxy and get additional non-chat services, I really don't
care because it won't effect my other customers.  However,
if I let them have all services, where is the marketing
angle - designed for the Chat market?  If we offer "Chat
Only" for P20 (US$0.50) it could really boost our revenue
for the same reason people are not buying from us now -
cheap connections.  At the same time, these limited
connections will not drag down our "quality" 6-10 Kbps
connections.

Now that you have a better idea of what I am doing...  Does
anyone have any more specs. about Freetell or ICQ?

Thanks,

aLan