Date:      Tue, 28 May 2013 11:40:59 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Pedro Giffuni <pfg@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        amd64@FreeBSD.org, toolchain@FreeBSD.org, Rui Paulo <rpaulo@felyko.com>
Subject:   Re: [CFT] gcc: support for barcelona

On May 27, 2013, at 1:48 PM, Pedro Giffuni wrote:

> On 27.05.2013 14:12, Rui Paulo wrote:
>> On 27 May 2013, at 09:41, Pedro Giffuni <pfg@freebsd.org> wrote:
>>=20
>>> Hello;
>>>=20
>>> Almost a year ago I tried to bring in the support for AMD's =
barcelona
>>> chipset into our gcc. This actually filled a lot of holes in that =
were left
>>> when similar intel support was brought in.
>>>=20
>>> Unfortunately I had to revert rapidly such support as it broke =
building
>>> some C++ ports even when it was not being used.
>>>=20
>>> jkim@ did some cleanup of the support and the patch has been
>>> gathering rust here:
>>>=20
>>> http://people.freebsd.org/~jkim/reworked-r236962-3.diff
>>>=20
>>> The patch still applies cleanly and there is a good chance it will =
work
>>> since there have been other fixes merged since the last time.
>>>=20
>>> I did some basic testing and so far it works for me but I don't have
>>> the specific chipset. Additional testing would be welcome.
>>=20
>> I have to question the general direction of this work. We switched to =
Clang as the default compiler for i386/amd64 some months ago and now =
you're working on improving our base GCC especially for amd64? I don't =
really understand how useful this is. It doesn't strike me as a good =
idea to see people working on things that will eventually be replaced / =
removed.
>=20
> I have absolutely no intention to give gcc a second air: it's dead
> and I am anxious to see it axed from -current (soon?).

That's not going to happen soon. While it works OK for amd64, there's =
still many bugs in its ARM support and even more in its MIPS support. =
There's 0 chance it will be gone in 10...

> This said,
> there are still many FreeBSD users trapped with the base gcc for
> at least as long as 9.x is alive.
>=20
> If you look at the ChangeLog.gcc43 in the above patch, you will
> notice I am just completing some code that was incompletely
> merged in previous revisions.
>=20
> The basic work was done almost a year ago, and I have no hurry
> to merge it but given that the effort was done already it would
> seem a pity to just throw it away.
>=20
> Of course I may be completely wrong here.

I see some value in adding this stuff.  While we have made clang the =
default, it still isn't fully vetted by surviving a release with it =
enabled. the fallback plan will continue to be gcc.

While it would ALSO be good to cleanup the tree so it can compile =
cleanly with 4.7 or 4.8, this effort won't stand in the way of that. =
Excluding it seems more like a political or emotional one than a =
practical one.

Warner