Date:      Sun, 21 Mar 1999 13:19:12 +1030 (CST)
From:      Stavros Patiniotis <stavros@esc.net.au>
To:        Anton Berezin <tobez@plab.ku.dk>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Installing 3.1 #2

On 19 Mar 1999, Anton Berezin wrote:

> Stavros Patiniotis <stavros@esc.net.au> writes:
>
> > I can't actually get to LINT, since my computer won't boot :(
> >
> > Any other suggestions?
>
> Is the partition on which FreeBSD resides marked as ``active'' in MBR?
> ``Missing operating system'' may indicate that ``active'' flag is set
> to an empty/unused partition or is not set at all.
>
> You can try booting from the installation diskettes, go to the Fixit
> option, choose Floppy option, switch to the Fixit shell prompt
> (Alt-F4) and type
>
> 	fdisk da0

Ok, I did this, and the partition was not marked as active.  I have now
set it to active, and upon rebooting, it didn't work (didn't boot).  I
checked the configuration, and it was still set as active (on PARTITION
1).

How do we know which PARTITION to make active? (When I setup the disk I
only made one partition with FreeBSD taking up the whole thing)

The second disk is also marked as active, and if I unplug the first disk,
it will try to boot using the 'second' disk, however it doesn't succeed,
as there is not /kernel (THATS OK!)  I've tried disconnecting the second
drive since it may have been causing a problem, and the same error
"Missing Operating System" occurs

(I need that first disk to be the boot disk as the other disk is faster)

This indicates that maybe something is wrong with the MBR on the first
disk, so I did

fdisk -b da0

again it didn't work.

For some strange reason the CTRL-A doesn't bring up adaptec's SCSI
configuration menu, (its in a PII 233).  I've never tried to access CRTL-A
on this particular machine before.

Oh if I boot using the fixit disk, and set the boot drive as
0:da(0,a)/kernel  all works ok, just that particular disk won't boot:(

Anything else I could try??

> (or whatever is the disk you installed FreeBSD on) to see the layout
> of partitions.  Flag 80 (active) is what you are looking for.

Thanks for you suggestions

Regards,

Stavros Patiniotis
-System Administrator / Network Manager  	       Escape.Net            -
-				       		       465b South Rd         -
-email: stavros@esc.net.au			       Keswick SA 5035       -