Date:      Thu, 21 Dec 2000 23:58:18 -0800
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
Cc:        "Otter" <otterr@telocity.com>, "FreeBSD Questions" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: search order?

> Which is why, btw, you shouldn't have "." in root's PATH.
> In case some scallywag puts a nasty version of .. say "ls" in
> some innocent directory, and this happens to be a shell script that
> does a "rm -rf *" .. ho ho..
                ^^^
That'd wipe out the directory in which that trojan is in.  The worst
thing I can see happening is if you wiped out /tmp while running some
/tmp-intensive application (I can't think of any ATM).

Please note, however, that I'm not debating whether having "." in a
path is a good idea.  You're right; it isn't, and not just for root.
Your example didn't show off the dangers very well, though.  No
offense intended.

Regards

						Dima Dorfman
						dima@unixfreak.org