Date:      Fri, 2 Feb 2001 09:35:09 +0000
From:      Timo Geusch <freebsd@unix-consult.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installation (Sysinstall?) problem on Compaq WS5000

All,
the company I work for has recently aquired two of these machines to replace
a vastly overspecced firewall and external mailserver. However we are currently
using them as doorstops as we are experiencing 'interesting' problems when
trying to install our favourite stable & secure operating systems on it.

Whereas OpenBSD 2.8 installs and runs, it only recognizes 16MB out of 64. This
might just about be enough, but it certainly is not good.

FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE and 4.2-RELEASE do not even complete the installation.
Here is a rough sequence of events when using sysinstall:
- It boots up fine into sysinstall. IF you boot from CD, it will complain
  that it is not able to detect the CD drive (ata) without lots of retries.
- Standard install, fdisk & disklabel the disk works fine. Initialize the
  disk; works. After a reboot, sysinstall finds the slices initialized.
- Now it is trying to read the packages from CD, it times out. End of install.
- Trying to install over the network produces the same problem. It gets to
  the point where it initialised the disks but fails immediately afterwards.

So the questions are:
- Was anybody able to get FreeBSD up and running on a single-processor
  WS5000?
- Is this a known problem? I've searched the archives but so far didn't find
  anything.
- Can anybody confirm that an older version of FreeBSD (i.e. 2.2.x, 3.x)
  installs on these boxes? I don't mind cvsupping through several generations
  of FreeBSD if necessary...

As I can't produce a DMESG for these machines, here's a list of hardware AFAIR:
- Dual Pentium Pro mainboard, single processor equipped. Not overclocked.
- IDE and NCR SCSI on board, sound on board (not relevant).
- ThunderLan network adapter on board
- Matrox Millenium
- SCSI Harddrive, IDE CDROM.
- Latest BIOS and diagnostics installed.

Any hints regarding sucessful installation on these machines would be much
appreciated. Please cc me on any reply as I am not subscribed to
freebsd-questions.

TIA,

Timo