Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 1997 19:53:02 +0000
From:      "Peter Kipfer" <prkipfer@immd9.informatik.uni-erlangen.de>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   accessing DOS extended partitions

Hello !

I'm a new user to FreeBSD, so be carefull - maybe this is a dumb question !

In order to install FreeBSD 2.1.6, I splitted my Primary DOS Partition on drive
C with
the fips util. Then I used the Novice Installation on the new partition and
everything just worked without any problems ! I even managed to compile a new
kernel on the first try - like you described it in the manual !

The splitted DOS partition C is read/write -able without problems.
The problem now is: I cannot mount my extended DOS partitions drives D and E:
(with the GENERIC and my own kernel build) the command looks like

[root]# mount -t msdos /dev/wd1s1 /dos_d
msdos: mount: Invalid argument

My setup:
primary IDE controller: master 540MB Quantum LPS540A
                               DOS 220MB C: wd0s1
                               BSD 300MB    wd0s2
                        slave  2GB Maxtor 72004 AP
                               DOS 950MB D: wd1s1
                               DOS 950MB E: wd1s2
secondary IDE controller: not used

When the 'mount' is issued, the drive access indicator flashes an you can
hear the drive being accessed. So why do I get the above error message ?
Can anybody help me, please ?!?

--
Ciao,
     Peter

= Peter Kipfer     prkipfer@immd9.informatik.uni-erlangen.de              =
= Flurstrasse 9c   http://wwwcip.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/user/prkipfer =
= 91217 Hersbruck                                                         =
= Germany           --> ThisMessage extends MyOpinion throws AnyException =