Date:      Fri, 13 Nov 1998 11:23:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        wes@softweyr.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What happenend to amd?

>Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 12:01:48 -0700
>From: Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>

>Good, then you can take a swing at answer this.  First, the amd command:

>amd -p -k i386 -l syslog /home /etc/amd.home

>/home is (of course) where our home directories need to show up.
>The /etc/amd.home map looks like:

>/defaults       type:=nfs;sublink:=${key};opts:=rw,intr,grpid
>jer             rhost:=thrallo;rfs:=/export/home/jer
>wpeters         rhost:=salty;rfs:=/export/home/wpeters

Note that the default line says (among other things) "sublink:=${key}",
so I believe that amounts to saying that "jer" maps to
"/export/home/jer/jer" on thrallo, and "wpeters" maps to
"/export/home/wpeters/wpeters" on salty.

Is this the intent?

>Now when I try to login to one of these accounts, or just cd to their
>home directory, I get:

>bash-2.01# cd ~jer
>bash: cd: /home/jer: No such file or directory

>But mount shows:

>bash-2.01# mount
>/dev/sd0s2a on / (local)
>/dev/sd0s2f on /usr (local)
>/dev/sd0s2e on /var (local)
>procfs on /proc (local)
>amd:2372 on /home
>thrallo:/export/home/jer on /a/thrallo/export/home/jer

So far, so good....

>and the following filesystem entries:

>bash-2.01# ls -l /home
>total 1
>lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  wheel  30 Nov 13 11:32 jer -> /a/thrallo/export/home/jer/jer

Yup; that matches my expectations.

>and /a/thrallo/export/home/jer is mounted and readable.

And does it contain the requested "jer" subdirectory?

>So, what's up?  Have I hosed the configuration somehow?

I rather suspect that if what you showed was the entire content of your
map file, it could be replaced by:

/defaults       type:=nfs;rfs:=/export/home;sublink:=${key};opts:=rw,intr,grpid
jer             rhost:=thrallo
wpeters         rhost:=salty

Here, for example, is an excerpt from a similar file in use here (which
we actually use as a source for a NIS-supplied map):

/defaults type:=link;fs:=/n/${rhost}/${rhost}${path}
dhw rhost:=pau-amma
ambrisko rhost:=crab
jim rhost:=hal
julian rhost:=shrimp
mark rhost:=cheetah
archie rhost:=bubba
bmann rhost:=chaco

Note that specifes type=link, vs. NFS.  Here's the map that completes
the picture:

/defaults rhost:=${key}
* host!=${key};type:=host;fs:=${autodir}/${rhost}/root;opts:=nfsv2,nosuid,grpid,soft,intr \
  host==${key};type:=link;fs:=/

So that way, from my own desktop (pau-amma), I don't try to use a
loop-back NFS mount to refer to my home directory; it's merely (the
illusion of) a symlink.  But from other machines, it does the expected
NFS stuff.

In general, I've found that avoidance of loopback NFS mounts is a Good
Thing.  That, combined with specifying nfsv2, has actually made the
difference from being able to crash my machine by running a "make" to
uptimes of weeks.

david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621