Date:      Wed, 21 Nov 2001 13:36:49 -0800
From:      "Phil Webb" <philwebb@piperain.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "'AJ Adams'" <aja2@ra.msstate.edu>
Subject:   RE: alpha vs i386

> Could you please let me know if I am downloading the correct
> installation? Do I need alpha or i386? My specs are listed below.
> I could really use some help...please.

Yup you got the right disc images.  Now just burn them to CD and away
you go!  If you are new to FreeBSD (as I am) make sure you read any file
with .txt at the end of it on the install CD.  It'll save you a metric
butt-ton of grief later.

You might also thnk about dual booting between FreeBSD and Windows at
least initially.  There are still things that I am personally incapable
of doing in FreeBSD that I can do in Windows, so I keep it around for
that reason.  As I learn FreeBSD more and more, I do less and less in
Windows, but at times (for instance now) I still use Windows.

Subscribe to the FreeBSD mailing lists and just lurk-n-learn too, that's
helped me a lot.

As usual, I will defer to anyone with more experience and knowledge than
I and I would suggest you liten to them more than me as well!  :)

Welcome to FreeBSD and have fun!

Phil Webb
www.piperain.com