Date:      Sat, 5 Aug 2000 18:32:56 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ariel Burbaickij <Ariel.Burbaickij@mni.fh-giessen.de>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problmes with Soundblaster 16 pci getting commonplace and no end

Ariel Burbaickij wrote:

> I personally had some (unsolved ) problems with SoundBlaster 16 pci on
> es1373 . I have seen some other complaining about the same card. The
> whole explanation in handbook/HOWTOs/on sites of self-declared
> gurus/is spinning around the same mantra of enabling of "device pcm"
> and setting appropriate interrupts,

You don't have to set any interrupt crap with the SB16 PCI.  I've got
one myself, and all I needed was "device pcm".  If that doesn't work for
you, your hardware must be broken.

> Besides I do not understand why is it so hard to write an clean
> interface to FFT and D/A/D-converter(main pieces of hard ware in the
> soundcard).

Good.  Please write one then, or stop complaining.

> So once more:What steps are necessary and how are they to execute to
> enable soundcard :Soundblaster16 on pci bus on 3.4-REL

Oh, if it's 3.4, that's different.  Did you try just "device pcm0"?
That might work.

--
Ben Smithurst                 / ben@FreeBSD.org / PGP: 0x99392F7D
FreeBSD Documentation Project /