Date:      Sat, 13 Aug 2011 22:11:32 -0500
From:      Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: System lockups in X with nVidia GeForce 7600 GS (G73) and Gtk+

On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 8:22 PM, Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de> wrote:

> Has anyone got the "nouveau" driver working, and if,
> how precisely has he done so?

I used to have it working, but I think for various reasons it's being
abandoned by FreeBSD x11 team.  Not sure of exact current state but it's not
worth pursuing.

> Is there an explaination of the lockups (always only
> in relation to Gtk+ triggering it)? Does it indicate
> a defective driver or a defective hardware? What do
> you think?

Too soon to say. I always use the proprietary nvidia driver, and I've never
had major issue from one installed from ports:  /usr/ports/x11/nvidia-driver

--
Adam Vande More