Date:      Tue, 1 Jun 2010 10:20:01 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
Cc:        Garrett Cooper <yanefbsd@gmail.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Clifton Royston <cliftonr@lava.net>
Subject:   Re: Locking a file backed mdconfig into memory

On Monday 31 May 2010 2:45:25 pm Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 11:25:51AM -0700, Dave Hayes wrote:
> > Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com> writes:
> > > Is the mfsroot file compressed (.gz extension)?  Reason I ask is that
> > > the OP states he's using RELENG_7...
> >
> > Yes it is compressed.
> >
> > > http://jdc.parodius.com/freebsd/pxeboot_serial_install_7.html#step7
> >
> > Thanks much for this. I did a simple test, I rebuilt a DVD that wasn't
> > booting to use a lower level of compression (gzip -9 to gzip -6) on
> > mfsroot without changing anything else. This caused it to boot normally.
> >
> > I'm not sure it's conclusive evidence, but it certainly looks like a
> > weak datapoint supporting this kernel bug being the source of my
> > problem.
> >
> > Is this problem fixed in 8.0 or by a patch?
>
> With regards to said bug, gzip compression seems to work fine on
> RELENG_8, at least in my experiences:
>
> http://jdc.parodius.com/freebsd/pxeboot_serial_install_8.html
>
> I'm not sure the level of compression is what triggers the bug though;
> I haven't tested all levels (1 through 9).
>
> CC'ing jhb@ since he last updated PR kern/120127 (which I would say is
> still a problem on RELENG_7 :-) ).  John, are you aware of any gzip
> decompression / mfsroot changes which might explain the problem on
> RELENG_7?  I haven't done a "thorough" series of tests, but on my
> testbed boxes RELENG_8 works fine with a gzip'd mfsroot.

Ok, if you are using a stock mfsroot from a release build, that should work
fine.  If you have built a custom mfsroot that is larger, then you may need to
increase NKPT on i386.  In very recent 7 and later you can do this by setting
it to a new value in your kernel config.  In older versions you can do this by
manually adding a #define to set a new value of NKPT in opt_global.h or
hacking on the source directly.

--
John Baldwin