Date:      Mon, 23 Feb 1998 18:43:06 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith), hasty@rah.star-gate.com, scrappy@hub.org, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATAPI related patch ..

> > Luigi's hack is for CDDA (sucking audio off the CD) acccess; this is
> > basically bulk data transfer.  Being a read-like operation, it's better
> > handled as such.
> >
> > With a little more work, once you support audio accesses in the driver
> > properly, you become able to produce a "cdrom audio FS", where tracks
> > on the disk appear as files when the disk is mounted.
>
> Pull the other one.  Audio track disk blocks are not evenly divisible
> into (or by) a page size.

I'm not pulling nothing.  Put an audio CD into your Win98 machine (or
Win95 OSR2 machine for that matter), and 'cd' to the drive in a penalty
box.

Tell me what you see *there*.

> There are all *sorts* of nice coherency problems that you run into from
> this.
>
> Effectively, you would need the LCM of the non-factors which are not
> LCF, to be read at one time.  Otherwise you won't get a "page not
> present" error when you have a page that is partially valid.

Sure, this is just a case where you need a SLICE layer that understands
non-multiple non-factor block size transforms.

> This problem gets worse if you want to *write* audio tracks.

I don't think anyone is that stupid.  Mastering an audio CD isn't a
trivial operation.  8)

Bear in mind that all you're actually doing is providing directory
entries that someone can open.  Nobody says that the files can be
*mapped*, although they ought to be mappable. 8)

On the other hand, if you only allow access via ioctl's, this isn't
even possible.