Date:      Sat, 09 Dec 2000 09:54:21 +0100
From:      Siegbert Baude <siegbert.baude@gmx.de>
To:        armand <armand@linuxstart.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Partition Magic, Windows 98 & FreeBSD

Hi Armand,

> so am wondering even if I successfully install FreeBSD, will
> it boot from beyond the 1024 cylinder?

In Addition to Kent: If the 1024 cylinder boundary really troubles you
because of some strange CHS translation, note that the primary slice
you create with Partition Magic can be divided into (Unix) partitions.
Only the / partition has to be completely under the 1024 cylinder
boundary. As Kent said, it would be better to have only / and a swap
partition as Unix partitions inside your one primary slice to avoid
wasting space. Murphy´s law states, that it´s always the partition
with the smallest freespace, that is needed most :-) And your 1,4 GB
isn´t very much indeed.
So if really 1024 cylinder matters, think of reinstalling Win also
with a LBA translation of your disk then in your BIOS (i.e. 63 sectors
and 255 heads per cylinder => 1024 cylinder thus being around 8 GB).

Ciao
Siegbert