Date:      Fri, 26 Apr 2002 09:45:37 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dhclient going crazy...

Gabriel Ambuehl wrote:
>>>this required, nice, uuh) as the ISP feels I've been running DoS
>>>attacks
>>>against its DHCP servers:
>>>
>>Sure sounds like bullsh*t to me
>
> I later had a call from one of the NOC guys who actually appeared to
> know something about the whole issue and he didn't claim I was
> running
> DoS but thought that there might be a bug in the dhclient.

Did you reboot the box?  FreeBSD isn't very prone to binary corruption,
but (theoretically) it's still possible.  I wouldn't blame dhclient
itself, though, as I've run it for years with no problems.  If your
dhclient is acting up you probably need to do buildworld again.

>>From the looks of the arp messages
>>below, it doesn't look like you're the one changing MAC addresses.
>
> Actually, there's a whole lot of those ARP changes for the GW, could
> it be that dhclient went crazy about it?

dhclient shouldn't have any reason to change MAC addresses.

>>>one hour later, went on for about ten minuted and stopped, the
>>>whole cycle was repeated for several hours from 17:00 to 23:XX.
>>>What is happening here? And how can I prevent it from happening
>>>again?
>>>
>>It really looks to me like your ISPs DHCP server is whacked.  Maybe
>
> That's originally what I expected to be the reason too but the NOC
> guy
> told me that they're running with 60min leases.

Yeah, but remember that you're running things in a sane manner, and
if they (for some unknown reason) went wacko, you'd think that it
must be the other guy as well.
I have to admit, I've done it: systems run well for long periods
of time and suddenly a client complains that things are broken and
my first reaction is "what did you break" (because usually that's
true)  Then later I find that my systems are wacked out.  Only
difference is that I'll admit my mistake to the customer.

>>it's giving out incredibly short lease times, requiring you to
>>renew your lease often.  Check /var/db/dhclient.leases to see what
>>the
>>DHCP server has been up to
>
> Can't do that now cause at the moment, it's working like it should,
> i.e. no representative data there for me...

Bummer.

>>I'm making some guesses here, Gabe, because I've never seen
>>anything like this before.
>>

> Neither did I. The box in question has a somewhat doubtful internal
> (dc0) interface that would generate watchdog alerts from time to time
> since a few week but despite it was running for more than a year
> without a single problem. I sure did upgrade it from time to time but
> as STABLE really is stable for the very most part, I never ever
> encountered any trouble while on it...

Well, definately take a minute to email me if you ever figure
it out.  I'd be curious to know what's up.
--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology