Date:      Mon, 4 Aug 2003 02:09:46 +0200
From:      "Peter Schuller" <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   [peter.schuller@infidyne.com: Re: rfcomm_pppd fails (T40p and Nokia 7650)]

Err. Over-zealous anti-spam measures on the freebsd.org MTA caused my
original post to fail, so here it is, sent from another host:

----- Forwarded message from Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com> -----

> thank you very much for these traces. yes, the "NO CARRIER" error is not
> RFCOMM's fault. Bluetooth/RFCOMM in fact work because you can send commands
> to the phone and receive replies back. so "NO CARRIER" means that your phone
> was not able to establish GPRS connection. just like a normal modem sometimes
> can not establish connection to the modem on the other end.

Yeah; I just wanted to mention it just in case.

> this is local device tells that it has failed to create baseband connection
> to the remote with BD_ADDR 00:02:EE:73:89:0B (link type ACL/no encryption).
> the status code is 0x04 - Page Timeout.
>
> bottom line: the local device has failed to create baseband connection to the
> phone. when device is idle the radio is only turned on for a brief periods of
> time to scan for page attempts (from remote devices). it is possible for the
> device to miss such page attempt and thus incoming connection may fail. i
> think
> that is what might be going on.

Sounds likely. In general Bluetooth seems a bit half-flaky on phones,
even when doing phone-to-phone stuff. Perhaps this is a just a more
explicit report on the same problem that causes failures in general.

> could you please put your phone into "discoverable" mode, run
> "hccontrol -n <dev>hci inquiry" and send me the output?

The only relevant settings on the 7650 seems to be the disable/enable
flag for bluetooth and wether it's "visible" or "hidden" to other
devices. I assume "visible" means it's discoverable; just using
different terminoligy.

If so, I have it set to discoverable mode at all times (when BT is
enabled).

Here's the output of a successful inquiry:

thunderbolt# hccontrol -n ubt0hci inquiry
Inquiry result, num_responses=1
Inquiry result #0
        BD_ADDR: 00:02:ee:73:89:0b
        Page Scan Rep. Mode: 0x1
        Page Scan Period Mode: 00
        Page Scan Mode: 00
        Class: 50:22:04
        Clock offset: 0x984
Inquiry complete. Status: No error [00]
thunderbolt#

At the moment all attemps are successful, though I am relatively sure
that I've seen it fail sometimes (but then the output isn't very
interesting so).

> of course i'm interesting in improving the code :) btw, do you have the same
> problems on other systems (Windows or Linux)?

I don't have Linux on this machine, but I can ask my friend if he's
experiencing the same problems (same phone but different Bluetooth
card).

As for Winodws, I'll have a go trying to cause random failures the next
time I'm in it.

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>'
Key retrival: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey@scode.org
E-Mail: peter.schuller@infidyne.com Web: http://www.scode.org