Date:      Sat, 19 Jun 1999 19:47:58 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        field <field@nucleus.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel build failure

> field wrote:
>
> I have just installed FreeBSD 3.1 (March 1999) CDroms that came with
> the book "The Complete FreeBSD" - a Walnut Creek CDROM distribution.
> With one exception, the installation was easy an well though out. My
> compliments to the authors of the system.
>
> To resolve a conflict with the Western Digital WD8013 ethernet
> controller card, I attempted to rebuild the kernel. Part way through,
> the build failied with the error message:
>
> In file included from ../../isofs/cd9660/cd9660_bmap:43:
> ../../sys/vnode.h:457:vnode_if.h: No such file or directory
>
> "find" cannot find this file on the installed system.
>
> Where can this file be retrieved from???

When you did a "config mykernel", you were told to "cd
../../sys/compile/mykernel" and to do a "make depend". This command
isn't in the book but it necessary to do a kernel build. If you did the
make depend, then you have another problem but the lack of a make depend
is the most common error encountered by a new user.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA