Date:      Tue, 2 Jul 2013 16:11:34 +0000 (UTC)
From:      Anton Yuzhaninov <citrin@citrin.ru>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "portmaster -r perl" rebuild almost everything, including apache24, php53 etc.

On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 12:32:29, Boris Samorodov wrote:
BS> 21.06.2013 23:23, Lev Serebryakov пишет:
>>   I have old 9-STABEL eserver, which was converted to pkg-ng some time
>>  ago. This server has perl5.12, apache24, php53, some php modules, etc.
>>  installed via ports.
>>
>>   I've tried to upgrade perl5.12 with recommended "portmaster -r perl"
>>  and it rebuild almost everything, including apache, php, all php
>>  modules, all apache modules, midnigght commander (mc) and lot more.
BS>
BS> Well, for me it's not "all" at amount POV:
BS> -----
BS> % pkg info  | wc -l
BS>      726
BS> % pkg info -r perl | wc -l
BS>      234

This is because dependencies stored in package database are recursive.
Even with pkgng.

With old /var/db/pkg was not easy to recursively calculete dependencies
when need, and this recursive list was pre-calculeted and stored. I
don't know why this is not fixed in pkgng.

For example if you have ports:
A -> B -> C -> D
in package database stored, that A depends on B+C+D, but should only
be stored that A depends on B.

This recursive dependencies causes different problems - many extra ports
to rebuild is only one of this problems.

glib among others depends on perl, so with recursive dependencies all
ports, that depends on glib will be rebuild by portmaster -r perl with
no profit from this rebuild.