Date:      Wed, 5 May 1999 14:43:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "James A. Mutter" <jmutter@netwalk.com>
To:        David Schwartz <davids@webmaster.com>
Cc:        jmutter@netwalk.com, John Reynolds~ <jreynold@sedona.ch.intel.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Mindcruft ...

:> Generally, a fair test on a level playing field.
:
:	Same hardware is not a level playing field. Sensible people optimize the
:hardware for the operating system they plan to use. I could show you Linux
:and NT beating the stuffing out of FreeBSD by using my MX98713 network card
:in 100Mbps half duplex mode. For some reason FreeBSD chokes on it.
:
:	DS
Well then, you need to find hardware that is equally agreeable, or as
close to equally agreeable as you can get, to _all_ operating systems.
Running the tests on different hardware just gives the critics
one more thing to be critical of.

I don't belive that you can have a "level playing field" without the
same hardware.