Date:      Sat, 09 Jun 2007 15:37:19 -0700
From:      "Jin Guojun [VFFS]" <j_guojun@lbl.gov>
To:        questions@freebsd.org,  hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   what causes error -- ELF interpreter /libexec/ld-elf.so.1 not found

I have multiple FreeBSD 6.2 machines with different hardware, but one of
them encountered
this strange error when running program "wine".
I could not figure out what causes such error since /libexec/ld-elf.so.1
absolutely exists, otherwise
no program will run.

It does not matter if the wine is pre-compiled in packages or I built it
from ports.
All other machine do NOT have such problem.

I reinstalled this machine a few times, and it always does the same
thing. However other programs
run well.
Would this is related to some particular hardware issue?
This one is ECS 848P-A7 motherboard with Intel P4 506+ CPU, plus 2 GB
memory.
Other machines are HP AMD64 laptop, DELL Dual XEON, DELL Intel Laptop,
and AMD XP 2100+,
and none of them ever had such problem.

129 /data: ldd `which wine`
/usr/local/bin/wine:
ELF interpreter /libexec/ld-elf.so.1 not found
/usr/local/bin/wine: signal 6

130 /data: ll /libexec/ld-elf.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  158712 Jan 11 23:39 /libexec/ld-elf.so.1*

131 /data: wine
ELF interpreter /libexec/ld-elf.so.1 not found
Abort

132 /data: which wine
/usr/local/bin/wine

Does someone have an idea what is happening here?

-Jin