Date:      Wed, 14 Jan 2015 00:07:36 +1030
From:      Shane Ambler <FreeBSD@ShaneWare.Biz>
To:        FreeBSD stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Question about sysctl's

I am curious about two particular sysctl's, they are described as

vm.stats.vm.v_wire_count: Wired pages
vm.max_wired: System-wide limit to wired page count

Now to me that sounds like v_wire_count should never get higher than
max_wired, yet today I have a v_wire_count that is ~40% above the max_wired.

vm.stats.vm.v_wire_count: 938417
vm.max_wired: 662820

So is this an error or do these two work differently than they appear?

FreeBSD leader.local 10.1-STABLE FreeBSD 10.1-STABLE #0 r276527: Fri Jan
  2 21:55:56 ACDT 2015
root@leader.local:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

--
FreeBSD - the place to B...Software Developing

Shane Ambler