Date:      Sat, 22 Jan 2000 23:14:00 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mike Heffner <mheffner@mailandnews.com>
To:        FreeBSD-questions <FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Can't add device entry for acd1

Hi,

I have two cdroms on my secondary ide controller, one cdrom, and one cdwriter.
Unfortunately I'm unable to create /dev entries for the second drive (acd1):

enterprise# ./MAKEDEV acd1    ( also tried 'all')
enterprise# ls ac*
acd0a   acd0c

as you can see, the first drive has entries, and it works fine. It's just the
second one that's the problem. Any suggestions? I remember that awhile back
I was able to use my cdwriter drive with the new ata drivers, but it's seems to
have broke since then (sorry don't have specific date). This is a -current
kernel, cvsupped/built just a few minutes ago. Is this just a pilot error?
Below is the relevant lines from dmesg and my config file.

ata-pci0: <Intel PIIX4 ATA-33 controller> port 0xffa0-0xffaf at device 7.1 on
pci0
ata-pci0: Busmastering DMA supported
ata0 at 0x01f0 irq 14 on ata-pci0
ata1 at 0x0170 irq 15 on ata-pci0
acd0: <EPO CD-ROM CR-836S/Ver1.06> CDROM drive at ata1 as master
acd0: read 171KB/s (6187KB/s), 128KB buffer, PIO4
acd0: Reads: CD-R, CD-RW, CD-DA stream, packet
acd0: Audio: play, 255 volume levels
acd0: Mechanism: ejectable tray
acd0: Medium: no/blank disc inside, unlocked
acd1: <IDE-CD ReWritable-2x2x6/V:003.0> CD-RW drive at ata1 as slave
acd1: read 344KB/s (1034KB/s) write 344KB/s (344KB/s), 768KB buffer, PIO3
acd1: Reads: CD-R, CD-RW, CD-DA stream, packet
acd1: Writes: CD-R, CD-RW, test write
acd1: Audio: play, 128 volume levels
acd1: Mechanism: ejectable tray
acd1: Medium: no/blank disc inside, unlocked, lock protected

# ATAPI devices
device          ata0
device          atadisk0        # ATAPI DISK
device          atapicd0        # ATAPI CDROM drives

options         ATA_STATIC_ID

( i also tried it without the ATA_STATIC_ID line, but it didn't seem to make a
difference )

- Later

Mike Heffner <spock@techfour.net>
Fredericksburg, VA