Date:      Sat, 5 Aug 2006 00:25:28 -0300 (ADT)
From:      User Freebsd <freebsd@hub.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   BSDstats Project v1.0

--0-1726969029-1154748328=:25268

'k folks ... the quick and dirty .. actually, not too dirty ...

The attached script goes into /etc/periodic/monthly (and can be run from
the command line) and is the *very* barebones ... it reports operating
system and architecture ... it will return a unique id at the same time
which will be used when we add in the pciconf output ...

I have it recording two things: IP and hostname ... I figure it is highly
unlikely for two hosts to ever have both identical, so a *fairly* safe
unique key to work with ... and unless someone is running a whack of
machines behind NAT with the same hostname, it gives us a safe unique
counter for those behind NAT ...

The backend is storing the data in a database right now, so what I'm
curious most about is someone running behind NAT with a few servers, or
behind a proxy, just to see what sort of results ...

I'm going to try and get the pciconf output added into it later tonight,
and will post a follow up, but this at leave gives something to test
against ...

Right now, there is no "output" on the web site, but I do have a link to,
and daily run of, awstats, which will at least show some figures ... once
there is data in the database, I'll start working up a stats page based on
the #s there ...

Note that once you've added this script, you need to add:

monthly_statistics_enable="YES"

to /etc/periodic.conf so that it will run monthly ... and, of course, you
can run it manually, instead of waiting until the end of the month ...

You can also run it as often as you like, it will only record one
submission *per* month, but it will update the data based on the last
submission (ie. if you upgrade, or add/remove hardware) ...

Its a start ... will work on extending it to add the pciconf output next,
and send a v2.0 script as soon as that is ready :)

----
--0-1726969029-1154748328=:25268

IyEvYmluL3NoIC0NCiMNCiMgJEZyZWVCU0Q6IHNyYy9ldGMvcGVyaW9kaWMv
bW9udGhseS8zMDAuYWNjb3VudGluZyx2IDEuMTAgMjAwMi8wOS8yNCAxODo1
Mzo0NiBhY2hlIEV4cCAkDQojDQoNCiMgSWYgdGhlcmUgaXMgYSBnbG9iYWwg
c3lzdGVtIGNvbmZpZ3VyYXRpb24gZmlsZSwgc3VjayBpdCBpbi4NCiMNCm1v
bnRobHlfc3RhdGlzdGljc19tYWlsdG89InNjcmFwcHlAaHViLm9yZyxyb290
Ig0KaWYgWyAtciAvZXRjL2RlZmF1bHRzL3BlcmlvZGljLmNvbmYgXQ0KdGhl
bg0KICAgIC4gL2V0Yy9kZWZhdWx0cy9wZXJpb2RpYy5jb25mDQogICAgc291
cmNlX3BlcmlvZGljX2NvbmZzDQpmaQ0KDQpvbGRtYXNrPSQodW1hc2spDQp1
bWFzayAwNjYNCg0KY2FzZSAiJG1vbnRobHlfc3RhdGlzdGljc19lbmFibGUi
IGluDQogICAgW1l5XVtFZV1bU3NdKQ0KICAgICAgSE49YC9iaW4vaG9zdG5h
bWVgDQogICAgICBTWVM9YC91c3IvYmluL3VuYW1lIC1yYA0KICAgICAgQVJD
SD1gL3Vzci9iaW4vdW5hbWUgLW1gDQogICAgICAvdXNyL2Jpbi9mZXRjaCAt
cW8gL3RtcC9nZXRpZCBodHRwOi8vYnNkc3RhdHMuaHViLm9yZy9zY3JpcHRz
L2dldGlkLnBocD9obj0kSE5cJnN5cz0kU1lTXCZhcmNoPSRBUkNIDQogICAg
ICA7Ow0KICAgICopICByYz0wOzsNCmVzYWMNCg0KdW1hc2sgJG9sZG1hc2sN
CmV4aXQgJHJjDQo=

--0-1726969029-1154748328=:25268--