Date:      Thu, 30 Apr 1998 22:30:41 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Frank Pawlak <fpawlak@execpc.com>
To:        grog@lemis.com
Cc:        Yves.holzgen@mba.be, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, FreeBSD-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD versus LINUX

On  1 May, Greg Lehey wrote:
> On Wed, 29 April 1998 at 23:40:10 -0500, Frank Pawlak wrote:
>> On 29 Apr, John Kelly wrote:

>> Linux is a very young clone of SYSV UNIX.  It is not really an
>> operating system, just a kernel.  The libs and other components that
>> make up an operating system come from many developers with out a central
>> centrol mechanism to ensure the quality of the release.  It just the
>> kernel that is controlled by one person.
>
> I don't know if I like making this distinction.  Lots of the FreeBSD
> supporting software is not under the direct control of the core team
> either (in fact, it's the same software used by Linux).  And the term
> "not an operating system" is misleading.  Many people, including
> myself, consider the kernel to be the operating system, and the rest
> just to be support.
>
> Having said that, it is correct that you can't just go out and get
> "the latest version of Linux".  You have a choice of a large number of
> different packagings.
>
> Greg

Hi Greg,

I am not an expert on operating systems, and not technically qualified
to refute whether or not the Linux kernel is in fact an operating
system.  However, I believe I have seen posts to the mail lists by
persons knowledgeable in these things that say that the Linux kernel is
not an OS.

At times these issues are very confusing to us that are trying to learn
the right things and seperate the bull from the real differentators
between FreeBSD and Linux.  I am not trying to give you an argument
here as much as to get at what really consistutes an OS.

In answering the question as I did, I was trying to provide some
information to persons that were switching from Linux to FreeBSD and
asking for information on the differences between them, and quite
frankly were given bullshit for an answer.  Those differences have to
have more substance than what works best for you oe some such.  People
moving from one OS to another need and deserve substantial information
on which to base those desisions. If it is the case that the only
difference is what works best for you, then you could put Linux and
FreeBSD in a bag, shake it and grab one and have the best OS.  At that
point everything else is just hacker flame wars and bombast.  I truly
hope that is not the case.

Best wishes,
Frank

At no time is freedom of speech more precious then when a man hits his
thumb with a hammer."

		-- Marshall Lumsden