Date:      Wed, 26 Jan 2005 10:45:33 -0700
From:      Tom Vilot <tom@vilot.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   X11 / keyboard emacs?

Well, I'm stumped.

I can't figure out why, in FreeBSD (or at least the one I have running
here) the keyboard mapping for editing all the text widgets (in X) is
not using emacs keybindings. The only way I can get control-a and
control-e, control-d etc, to work is if I run xfce4 and choose Emacs in
the Keyboard settings.

a peek at that file:
/usr/X11R6/share/themes/Emacs/gtk-2.0-key/gtkrc

shows me things like:

#
# Bindings for GtkTextView and GtkEntry
#
binding "gtk-emacs-text-entry"
{
  bind "<ctrl>b" { "move-cursor" (logical-positions, -1, 0) }
  bind "<shift><ctrl>b" { "move-cursor" (logical-positions, -1, 1) }
  bind "<ctrl>f" { "move-cursor" (logical-positions, 1, 0) }
  bind "<shift><ctrl>f" { "move-cursor" (logical-positions, 1, 1) }
// snip //

What I don't understand is how to make that global. That is, applied to
all Window Managers. If I run AfterStep or WindowMaker, these keyboard
bindings do not apply and I can't figure out how to make them apply
irrespective of the window manager currently running.

:c(

Help?