Date:      Wed, 23 Jul 2003 10:56:22 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Gnome 2.2 will not start on my CURRENT system

> From: Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
> Date: 23 Jul 2003 13:40:49 -0400
>

> --=-KidrdROhLtVPD/ESh+gV
>
> On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 13:24, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > > From: Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
> > > Date: 22 Jul 2003 19:48:14 -0400
> > >=20
> > >=20
> > > --=3D-GhwGArM+5kf3gZinEOQo
> .
> rts
> t)
> "__t=3D
> > > hr_j=3D3D
>  onl=3D
> that
> > >=20
> > > Can you isolate a certain component that causes the error?  That is, ca=
> > > you launch pure GTK applications (e.g gaim)?  Can you launch
> > > gconf-editor?  If we can isolate a bad dependency, that may help.
> >=20
> > Yes, gtk based apps run. gconf-editor also runs, although it finds
> > nothing since gconfd is not running.
>
> Okay, so that rules out all of the dependencies of gconf-editor.  Bump
> up to ggv, and see if that works.

Yes, ggv dies with the same error. But my re-build attempt made me
realize what was really happening.

I'm so embarrassed! You were right the first time.

This system was recently upgraded from STABLE to CURRENT. As I
discovered last time, you really MUST re-build gmake after the upgrade
and I failed to do it.

While the symptoms of this were a bit different, the cause was the
same and the fix was 'portupgrade -f gmake.

Things are still re-building, but I strongly suspect that
gnome-session will run fine after it's re-built.

Sorry for wasting your time.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)