Date:      Fri, 15 Jun 2001 05:46:30 +0200
From:      Cynic <cynic@mail.cz>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>, rootman <rootman@xmission.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Justification for using FreeBSD

At 05:23 15.6. 2001, Bill Moran wrote the following:
>[copied this back to the list so others with stories could chime in]
>
>rootman wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Bill,
>>
>> Can you elaborate on #2?
>> > 2. FreeBSD/Apache is more standards compliant
>
>Do you remember the JAVA/JScript thing? Sun was going to sue M$ for
>using the JAVA logo when their products weren't really JAVA compliant.
>Instead of fixing the problem, M$ came up with the JScript (or is it
>Visual J++ - can't remember the exact name) thing. It's named that to

Netscape JavaScript .... Microsoft JScript
Sun Java ............... Microsoft Visual J++

>intentionally confuse people via the marketing. Applications written in
>JAVA run on J++ enabled platforms, but apps written in J++ don't work
>under JAVA enabled platforms. This way, M$ makes their point that M$
>products work with M$ products. They try to leverage their dominance in
>the browser market to help out their ailing Web server market (M$ only
>has ~20% of the web servers, whereas Apache has over 60%)
>Look at KAME. Because of KAME, FreeBSD (as well as Linux and the other
>BSDs) are fully IPv6 ready. So the FreeNix systems are already prepared
>for the next generation of the Internet protocols. Where is M$ IPv6
>support?

well, Microsoft is a _business_ company. They're not there to make the
best software, they're there to make money. Same with Sun, Oracle, or
anyone else. It's natural they put lots of effort into keeping (and
broadening) their territory, just as it's natural they put only as much
effort into development as is required to keep the territory.

I mean, it's natural Microsoft abuses its monopoly, and it's natural you
don't like it (nor do I).

>Dial out to the internet using a m$ product and start a large download,
>then unplug the phone and plug it back in. The download will be ABORTED
>and you'll have to restart it. This is a VIOLATION of TCP protocol

hehe, this reminds me... I was downloading the NetBSD ISO images with
iexplore (to D:, with lotsa space). after the first one (600M) was there,
I realized it was only 50M big. reason? 50M free on C: where iexplore
stored its temporary files. it didn't bother to tell me, though.
I used wget on second run. :)

------end of quote------

cynic@mail.cz