Date:      Sat, 29 Dec 2012 13:48:33 +0100
From:      Ulrich =?utf-8?B?U3DDtnJsZWlu?= <uqs@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Gabor Kovesdan <gabor@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Please review, small SGML entity cleanup

On Sat, 2012-12-29 at 12:08:46 +0100, Gabor Kovesdan wrote:
> On 2012.12.28. 18:14, Ulrich Spörlein wrote:
> > The DE and FR articles are a hodgepodge of SGML entities and direct,
> > 8bit chars, with the former being the majority. This patch cleans this
> > up a little, although we should eventually switch this all to UTF-8,
> > obviously.
> Don't they work with direct chars? Once we made a step to that direction

They probably will, and I have no clue why we used entities for German
and French, but the usual encodings for Russian and Japanese, etc.

> so this one would be one step back. If possible, it would be better to
> convert the entities to direct chars instead of the opposite.

In the end, sure. But that's a larger project of moving from
de_DE.ISO8859-1 -> de_DE (with an implied UTF-8 encoding, as is required
by XML anyway, the implied part, not the exact encoding).

I don't think this commit is a step back, because the documents need to
be converted using a long series of s/&uuml;/ü/g, anyway. And the
current mish-mash is just weird.

Cheers,
Uli