Date:      Mon, 05 Dec 2011 16:57:50 +0100
From:      Claude Buisson <clbuisson@orange.fr>
To:        Tom Evans <tevans.uk@googlemail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVS removal from the base
References:  <CAJ-VmonQQ-yHrDox35gpuaXXYV5j%2BUXOJH5jr93m3j=uBgbkWA@mail.gmail.com>	<4ED974A2.7080606@FreeBSD.org> <4ED9EA27.8090206@inse.ru>	<20111203.140334.74707074.sthaug@nethelp.no>	<CADe0-4m-p4umXQst%2Bb8DGFcUnct9P6PQCjQd5HXc3YPmNevCSw@mail.gmail.com>	<CAFHbX1%2BXj6DoT6uxzo-q4g=2gVKx7_uR5NQwYpAE99EzVFrT8A@mail.gmail.com>	<441usj6oi0.fsf@be-well.ilk.org> <CAFHbX1%2BZeX5=k5jTkEfH0oHOoztDTAAr9pQRVvXns4ki1jshqw@mail.gmail.com>

On 12/05/2011 16:28, Tom Evans wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 3:12 PM, Lowell Gilbert
> <freebsd-current-local@be-well.ilk.org>  wrote:
>> Tom Evans<tevans.uk@googlemail.com>  writes:

>>> I wasn't going to jump onto this bikeshed, as CVS will not be going
>>> anywhere any time soon, I am sure.
>>>
>>> I use cvs, rather than csup. I use cvsup to fetch CVS archives to
>>> /home/ncvs, and check out ports from there, as described in
>>> development(7).
>>>
>>> If ports were no longer delivered via CVS, you may have had a point
>>> about removing CVS from base - but they are not.
>>
>> Max Khon was the one who posted the original message in the thread.
>> That message explicitly stated that moving ports and doc away from CVS
>> was a prerequisite for removing CVS from base. As far as I've noticed,
>> no one has challenged that.
>>
>> I'm trying to think of a way to fit the previous paragraph into the
>> bikeshed metaphor, but I'm coming up with nothing.
>>

> The bikeshed is discussing about how cvs will eventually be removed
> from base when there are known, unsolved, issues that block that
> happening.
>
> Removing CVS will be an emotive issue, there is no need to discuss it
> until appropriate, as every one (like me) will wade in saying that "x
> is good and must stay" and "x is bad and must die", and every colour
> of bike shed in between. Just look at the number of replies to this
> topic.
>
> It would be much better to concentrate on the other issues rather than
> animated discussion of something that cannot realistically happen for
> quite some time yet.

This could have been more clear, and the bikeshed could be stopped soooner, if
it had been written before in an authoritative form, and by those who are at the
start of this "unrealistic proposal".

> Cheers
>
> Tom

Claude Buisson