Date:      Tue, 14 Aug 2007 21:23:40 +0200
From:      Patrick Proniewski <patpro@patpro.net>
To:        freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Cc:        Greg Hennessy <Greg.Hennessy@nviz.net>
Subject:   Re: strange "throttling" issue with pf on xDSL connection

Hi all,

On 02 ao=FBt 2007, at 08:24, Daniel Hartmeier wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 05:42:19PM +0200, Patrick Proniewski wrote:
>
>> While playing around with systat I've discovered that the transfer
>> rate can be as low as 20 KB/s and as high as 850 KB/s on a single
>> download from http://test-debit.free.fr, but the mean value will
>> always be around 120-150 KB/s when pf is active. =46rom one sample to
>> another (every second), the transfer rate is very erratic.
>> If I disable pf on ext_if (set skip on $ext_if), the transfer rate
>> reaches quickly 850 KB/s and is almost stable. It decreases to
>> 400-450 KB/s for 1 or 2 seconds, 3 or 4 times per minute.
>
> Enable pf debug logging (pfctl -xm), note output of pfctl -si, =20
> reproduce
> the problem. Then run pfctl -si again. See /var/log/messages for lines
> from pf. Post all three outputs ;)

logging and other forensic methods were of no help here, but I've =20
made several tests, commenting and un-commenting pf rules. I've found =20=

the guilty piece of rule.

my pf.conf used to have this rule:

	pass out on $ext_if proto tcp all modulate state flags S/SA

I've changed options to:

	pass out on $ext_if proto tcp all flags S/SA keep state

then my bandwidth is no longer throttled !
Looks like the servers/networks I'm connected to do not like =20
"modulate state".

regards,
pat=