Date:      Fri, 27 Apr 2001 08:36:56 +1200
From:      Craig Carey <research@ijs.co.nz>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
Subject:   Re: WinModem

At 2001-04-26 11:20 -0700 Thursday, Kevin Oberman wrote:
 >> From: "Charles Burns" <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
 >> Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 22:12:18 -0700
 >> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
 >>
 >> >Hi
 >> >
 >> >I have a questions:
 >> >
 >> >1) Lucent WinModem 56k works in FreeBSD?
 >Actually, maybe. The Linux ltmodem has been ported to FreeBSD. Also,
 >the IBM mWave WinModem has been ported and I'm hoping to get it into
 >ports soon.

The URL I gave in my 24-April message to freebds-questions list no longer has
the loadable kernel module driver available. However, another webpage that
does, is this page:

ftp://freebsd.csie.nctu.edu.tw/Upload/LucentWinModem-0.4-freebsd42r.tar.gz

That URL is mentioned in this archived Usenet thread webpage:
http://groups.google.com/groups?lr=&safe=off&ic=1&th=211f291bd40ab152&seekd=905875929

The old site: http://www.geocities.com/wtnbkysh/

 >These are both very new and YMMV. I think things will work better as
 >time goes on, but it's no longer hopeless.

You didn't say what was wrong with the Ltmodem.

I got paging in kernel mode errors ("kernel trap 12" with & without interrupts
disabled). Will the port of the IBM mWave modem also have a similar problem?.
(Some people might be thinking of buying an IBM mWave modem.)
Another thing about the wtnbkysh Lucent driver, and mentioned at
google.groups.com, is buffer overflow error messages appearing on consoles.
What problems would the mWave IBM modems and drivers present?.

At 2001-04-25 22:12 -0700 Wednesday, Charles Burns wrote:
 >>Hi
 >>
 >>I have a questions:
 >>
 >>1) Lucent WinModem 56k works in FreeBSD?
 >
 >Real modems (AKA modems that don't eat your CPU alive and make
 >your system slow to a crawl ...
That is exaggerated unless the CPU is slower than 100Mhz by some amount.