Date:      Sun, 20 Jun 1999 12:25:21 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        field <field@nucleus.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel build failure

On Saturday, 19 June 1999 at 20:30:27 -0600, field wrote:
> I have just installed FreeBSD 3.1 (March 1999) CDroms that came with
> the book "The Complete FreeBSD" - a Walnut Creek CDROM
> distribution. With one exception, the installation was easy an well
> though out. My compliments to the authors of the system.

Thank you.

> To resolve a conflict with the Western Digital WD8013 ethernet
> controller card, I attempted to rebuild the kernel. Part way through,
> the build failied with the error message:
> In file included from ../../isofs/cd9660/cd9660_bmap:43:
> ../../sys/vnode.h:457:vnode_if.h: No such file or directory

Oops, this is a bug in the book which was just reported to me this
morning.  Here's the erratum you need, which is now in the list of
errata at http://www.lemis.com/errata-2.html:

Page 273, ``Building the kernel''
_________________________________

Replace the example with:

Next, change to the build directory and build the kernel:

# cd ../../compile/FREEBIE
# make depend
# make

   The make depend is needed even if the directory has just been
   created: apart from creating dependency information, it also
   creates some files needed for the build.

Thanks to Mark Ovens <marco@uk.radan.com> for drawing this to my
attention.

Greg