Date:      Mon, 18 Feb 2002 08:49:31 +1100
From:      Andrew Reilly <areilly@bigpond.net.au>
To:        Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Java for FreeBSD

On 2002.02.16 14:35 Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> > Andrew Reilly wrote:
> >
> >> I'm a little disappointed that it didn't actually solve the
> >> problem that I wanted solved: Java in a native web browser.  I
> >> had hoped that the build process for either mozilla or galeon
> >> would have noticed the working jvm and done something to make
> >> use of it.  Sadly, that doesn't seem to be the case.
> >

> > For whatever reason, the java plugin isn't built. You could try KDE's
> > Konqueror though, it only needs a working 'java'.
>
> Small Update: The jdk13-port has been updated to the patchkit 6 and now
> builds a working java plugin.

I'd just like to offer an enormous THANK-YOU to the Java team. My
Mozilla is now happily doing Java things!

Well, mostly. This site has a java-based navigation gizmo on the
left-hand side, and the applet crashes if it is the first thing
run in the session:
http://www.duntech.com.au/images/all.html

However if I go and run
file:////usr/local/jdk1.3.1/demo/applets/Animator/example1.html
which seems to work fine, then re-loading the previous page
results in the navigation applet working. Maybe there's something
dumb going on in that applet, but I thought that I should mention
the problem.

I haven't figured out how to make the plugin work with galeon yet,
either. Maybe I need to compile it "WITH_FULL_MOZILLA", rather
than the default embedded version?

Still, from my perspective, this last week has been a HUGE step
forward.

Yay!  Thanks!

Just in case it helps, the Java console stack trace for the
failure mentioned above looks like:

java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.lang.RuntimePermission accessClassInPackage.sun.audio)
	at java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission(AccessControlContext.java:272)
	at java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(AccessController.java:399)
	at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPermission(SecurityManager.java:545)
	at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPackageAccess(SecurityManager.java:1501)
	at sun.applet.AppletSecurity.checkPackageAccess(AppletSecurity.java:169)
	at java.lang.ClassLoader$1.run(ClassLoader.java:324)
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.checkPackageAccess(ClassLoader.java:322)
	at sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(AppletPanel.java:579)
	at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.createApplet(AppletViewer.java:1178)
	at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(AppletPanel.java:515)
	at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(AppletPanel.java:293)
	at sun.plugin.navig.motif.MotifAppletViewer.maf_run(MotifAppletViewer.java:127)
	at sun.plugin.navig.motif.MotifAppletViewer.run(MotifAppletViewer.java:123)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

--
Andrew