Date:      Sat, 4 Dec 2004 08:01:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      orville weyrich <weyrich_comp@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sendmail mungs sender address

I was running a FreeBSD 4.3 system.  It crashed and I
built up a new FreeBSD 4.10 system.  But I cannot get
Sendmail to work the way it did before.

The relevant part of my network includes two hosts,
call them FIRE and BASHFUL.  FIRE is my firewall
machine,  It runs FreeBSD 4.3 and has not changed.  It
relays mail from my internal network to the world and
back.  BASHFUL is behind the firewall, is my new 4.10
machine, and is configured to use FIRE as its "smart
host."   FIRE is known to the universe as
FIRE.MYDOMAIN.COM.

I want mail sent from BASHFUL to carry a sender
address of me@MYDOMAIN.COM.  Instead it carries a
sender address of me@mailhost.MYDOMAIN.COM (if sent
from pine on BASHFUL) or me@localhost.MYDOMAIN.COM (if
sent from a command-line invocation of sendmail
itself).  All changes to sendmail.cf and pine
configuration seem to be ignored).

What has changed that my outgoing mail is broken?  My
incoming mail works fine.

Thanks

Orville Weyrich