Date:      Thu, 28 Mar 2002 07:51:31 -0800
From:      chip.wiegand@simrad.com
To:        fxn@isoco.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org, owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to connect two PCs occasionally

owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG wrote on 03/28/2002 07:40:22 AM:

> At home I have a desktop and a laptop, both running FreeBSD 4.x.
>
> Occassionally I would like to connect them to pass files. What would you
> recommend to accomplish it without having a LAN? I would like to be able
> to plug them easily, pass some data, and just unplug them, if there is
> such a thing.
>
> -- fxn

If both machines have a network card, then you should be able to use a
cross-over cable. Just assign them ip addresses something like
192.168.1.2/255.255.255.0 and 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0 and they should
be talking to each other. You'll need to use nfs, or set up one as a ftp
server and the other a client. FTPd is installed, but not enabled, by
default.

Maybe others will have more ideas, or know how to use the serial ports and
null modem cable (I don't).
Regards,
--
Chip W