Date:      Tue, 24 Sep 2002 09:42:17 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD NFS server using two NICs

Eric Anderson wrote:
> Terry Lambert wrote:
> > Make it all fit in one packet.  I don't know what options, etc.,
> > you are using.  I would suggest 1K (1024), so that it will fit
> > in a single packet, even with some extra options set.
> >
> > 1500 is the standard MTU... if it looks small to you, you must
> > have some really whacked-out hardware... and it must violate the
> > ethernet standards.  8-).
>
> Now, wait - shouldn't this break single NIC servers also?
> When I set up nfsd to only use one nic, it works fine.  It's only with
> two NICs that I have the problem.

This is why I asked you for additional information, which you
still haven't given me, BTW.

The answer is likely that the two NIC case is not reassembling
UDP datagrams for UDP packets that don't all come in on the same
interface.

Without you looking at the wire traffic, like I asked, or me
being willing to duplicate your experimental setup (frankly, I
do not have the necessary scratch equipment lying around to let
me try), I don't have enough information to go on about the
nature of the traffic.

IMO, anyone who tries to help you will need the same information
I've asked for, so the ball is in your court.

> Also, if I kill the nfsd master process, and leave the children run (the
> master is always the one that gets the load jacked up eating up 100% of
> that cpu), the machine continues to serve nfs requests, just not to the
> machine that pisses it off - but the other processes don't go haywire.

Linux "master process", or what?  I'll warn you right now, that
the answer to that question will give some insight into the
problem, but without knowing what the packets are doing on the
wire, answering it will give only necessary information, not
sufficient information.  If you want your problem solved, you
will need to make observations about what's going over the two
wires.

-- Terry