Date:      Tue, 02 Jan 2007 11:04:05 +0100
From:      Christophe Ollier <c.ollier@free.fr>
To:        John L <johnl@iecc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Indexing a largish collection of mail and usenet messages?

John L a écrit :

> I have a collection of archives of mailing list and news messages. The
> largest collection is pretty big, about 150,000 messages which means
> about 200 megabytes of text, shortly to be migrated to a FreeBSD
> server.  The lists are all active so archives typically add a few
> messages each day. I want to provide a full text search of each
> archive.  What software should I use?  I have been using the sturdy but
> ancient lqtext package. It's OK, but it has a few bugs I have yet to
> pick and I'm wondering if something better is available.

You could have a look at Lucene (<http://lucene.apache.org/>) : a text
search engine library written in Java. I don't know lqtext, but Lucene
seems to work in a similar way : a first program builds & updates an
index, a second program allows to query the index.

It's "only" a library, you have to program the interfaces for you
(indexing) and your users (querying). There are numerous ports to other
languages (C, Perl, Python, PHP (through ZendFramework) are in the ports
tree).

> First, I am NOT, repeat NOT, asking about web spiders.  The messages are
> directly available to indexing software as files on my server, so
> there's no advantage to running them through Apache on the way to the
> indexer. Also, the messages in the archive never change and I know what
> files are new each day, so it would be pointless for a package to
> re-spider the whole archive to look for the new messages.  I am not
> unalterably opposed to something that spiders if it is otherwise
> wonderful, but that approach hasn't been fruitful in the past.

Lucene can update an existing index with new documents.

> What I want ideally is something that knows enough about the structure
> of mail messages to deal intelligently with headers vs. body, that can
> do something reasonable with MIME and HTML bodies (not urgent, I can
> always run them through demime on the way to the index), and most
> importantly that actually works with 150,000 messages.  I've seen lots
> of packages that look promising but that fall over dead once they get
> past 10,000 messages or so.

I don't think Lucene can do this out of the box, but you can associate
any keyword to your indexed documents (e.g. mail headers).

About performance, I'm personally satisfied. I use the PHP port, with
20k documents, the full index takes about an hour to build, queries
about 100 to 1000 ms. Lucene seems fit for millions of documents.

--
Christophe