Date:      Thu, 17 Apr 2014 12:39:00 +0000 (UTC)
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6724@bellsouth.net>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mysterious crash/freeze in X11 with newcons

Timing of crashes/freezes and /var/log/messages indicates the messages were at crash time.

Maybe web browsing is more trouble-prone than (u)xterm or even xpdf or gnumeric.

I had two crashes close together with Midori on 1040now.net .  Midori is not as powerful as Firefox but is apparently capable of online commerce with https and Javascript.

I could try "make all-depends-list" to see the dependency tree which could be relevant in a matter of GTK versus Qt: not only for web browsers but window managers and other applications as well.

I ran
 pkg info -a | grep "mesa"
and got nothing, also tried with "Mesa".

Video hardware is Intel Ivy Bridge; other computer, with failing hard drive has Intel Sandy Bridge.  Now Ivy Bridge computer has been up continuously since I finished on 1040now.net about 51 hours ago. Monitor is LG, and LG's recommended screen resolution is 1920*1080.  I'd like to find how to open a root window/xterm from nonroot, have been able to login as another nonroot user but not as root.  Next thing to test is if that is due to not having root password; see if putting a password on the root account would enable a root login for things like mounting and umounting, and copying data to backup media, building ports, etc.

KDE in Slackware Linux had a menu item to open a konsole as root, when KDE was entered as nonroot, so I figure a root window/uxterm must be possible.

If problem is with the new Xorg, it would be the same on 11-head, 10-stable or 9.2-stable.  Ihave the feeling that the new Xorg is still experimental and unstable, or not fully stable, on FreeBSD.

I think I need an xorg.conf, not sure how best to get it if Xorg -configure by root fails.  I have some xorg.conf files from previous that I was able to modify to get NetBSD-current amd64 startx to work, also OpenBSD 5.4 live USB
(liveusb-openbsd.sourceforge.net), might try to set up a modeline for 1920*1080 if possible.  I even have an xorg.conf for Linux Slackware 13.0 from an oldcomputer, now recycled but I saved the IDE hard drives, now accessible only through USB enclosure.

I guess I need to experiment with both intel and vesa drivers and see how NetBSD-current with modular Xorg from pkgsrc, and Linux compare to FreeBSD.

Tom