Date:      Sat, 22 Jan 2000 23:57:22 -0500
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        Mike Heffner <spock@techfour.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Can't add device entry for acd1

On Sat, Jan 22, 2000 at 11:14:00PM -0500, Mike Heffner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have two cdroms on my secondary ide controller, one cdrom, and one cdwriter.
> Unfortunately I'm unable to create /dev entries for the second drive (acd1):
>
> enterprise# ./MAKEDEV acd1    ( also tried 'all')
> enterprise# ls ac*
> acd0a   acd0c
>
> as you can see, the first drive has entries, and it works fine. It's just the
> second one that's the problem. Any suggestions?...
[snip]

What version number is the system? What does the code for the acd?
device look like in your MAKEDEV? I know there have been times that in
order to make device 0-n in /dev you need to tell MAKEDEV to make
device (n+1). But I don't recall that with acd?.

If all else fails,

  # mknod  acd1a b 19  8
  # mknod racd1a c 69  8
  # mknod  acd1c b 19 10