Date:      Fri, 11 Nov 2005 17:10:28 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: gvinum/geom_vinum in 6.0?

On Nov 11, 2005, at 10:46 AM, David Kelly wrote:

> Upgrade to RELENG_6 went pretty smoothly from RELENG_5 but for my
> striped gvinum volume.
>
> Mergemaster wanted to remove /etc/rc.d/vinum, so I copied it and
> allowed
> the original to be removed. On reboot /dev/gvinum/vinum0 does not
> exist.
>
> In 5.x "gvinum start" created /dev/gvinum/vimum0. Manually starting
> gvinum fails to do anything to /dev/.
>
> Observed /bin/vinum was left over from previous FreeBSD and complained
> about lacking a vinum kernel module so I have removed it.
>
> I have geom_vinum loaded:

Never mind. Don't know why it didn't work from first boot or why it
wouldn't start manually after, but its working now.

Added "geom_vinum_load=YES" to /boot/loader.conf. Rebooted. And now
things work as they did before. The difference is that gvinum now
sees the drives more completely. Previously listed "0 drives:" but
got the volume, plex and subdisks correct.

# gvinum list
2 drives:
D vinumdrive1           State: up       /dev/ad6s1d     A: 0/156041
MB (0%)
D vinumdrive0           State: up       /dev/ad4s1d     A: 0/156041
MB (0%)

1 volume:
V vinum0                State: up       Plexes:       1 Size:
304 GB

1 plex:
P vinum0.p0           S State: up       Subdisks:     2 Size:
304 GB

2 subdisks:
S vinum0.p0.s0          State: up       D: vinumdrive0  Size:
152 GB
S vinum0.p0.s1          State: up       D: vinumdrive1  Size:
152 GB

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@HiWAAY.net