Date:      Sat, 1 Nov 1997 15:45:10 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
Cc:        chuckr@Glue.umd.edu, stephane@cybersurf.net, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Prefered X Window Manager?

On Sat, Nov 01, 1997 at 12:10:55AM -0500, John S. Dyson wrote:
> Greg Lehey said:

>>> I use fvwm2, and I've noticed most of my (local) friends do too.  Dunno
>>> what most use here on the list, they're too far away to visit!
>>>
>>> Most of the newer WM's out there are modifications (in some form) of fvwm.
>>
>> I use fvwm2 as well.  It's also the window manager that I describe in
>> detail in the second edition of "The Complete FreeBSD".
>
> I also agree with fvwm2 as a suggestion (I generally like fvwm*.)  Other
> interesting WM's (IMO) are ctwm and gwm.  Gwm is more more of a curiosity
> to me, but some likely really like it.

Yes, there are plenty of interesting wms, and I thought a lot before
choosing it.  A good alternative would be something like fvwm95, but I
decided that if I was going to plunge newbies into FreeBSD, I didn't
want to make it look like Windoze 95%.  The main reason for the
chapter was to give enough perspective to make it interesting for
people to install X and do something halfway interesting with it.
*Then*, if they have any curiosity, they'll go and do their own thing
(and probably think me strange for the defaults I suggested :-)

Greg