Date:      Wed, 5 Sep 2018 08:01:55 +0300
From:      erkin <erkinbatu@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem with booting 11.2 on KVM with multiple cores

Hello,

I'm trying to install FreeBSD 11.2 on a Qemu box with KVM and libvirt
on a Linux host.

For reference, the virt-install command I'm using is
% virt-install --name bsd --memory 4096 --vcpus=2 --cpu host \
  --cdrom $HOME/tmp/FreeBSD-11.2-RELEASE-amd64-bootonly.iso
  --disk path=/media/store/test/bsd.qcow2 --network user \
  --virt-type kvm --os-type=freebsd11.2

When I try to boot the kernel (using the bootonly ISO), I'm getting an
infinite loop that prints "unexpected cache type 4".
I managed to trace it to this announcement:
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2016-April/060466.html

Since it relates to SMP and my box has an AMD K10 processor (Phenom
x3) so I figured I'd limit it to a single core through --vcpus=1 and
sure enough, it worked and I was greeted by the installer.
Is this a known issue? Or am I doing something wrong? Or could it be
that my particular CPU model is unsupported?

---
~erkin