Date:      Sun, 5 Oct 1997 09:02:57 -0600
From:      John-David Childs <jdc@nterprise.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HELP!??!?!

On Saturday October  4, 1997, Marc M. LaFerrera <mml@sunlink.net>
 had this to say about "HELP!??!?!":

> Hello, I am having alot of problems. Hopefully you will be able to help
> me. First, I can't mount my linux partition from FreeBSD. Everytime I do:
> mount -t ext2fs /dev/wd0s1 /mnt
> I get, :
> mount: ext2fs filesystem unsupported
> or something along those lines. I have the book "The complete FreeBSD"
> distributed by walnut creek cdrom. But it says nothing what so ever bout
> this. How do I add ext2fs support into my kernel? And, I know I shouldn't

options		"EXT2FS"
options		COMPAT_LINUX

> ask you this next question, but, you never know. I have the same problem
> with linux. I can't mount my BSD partition from linux. what would the fs
> type be? And how can I add support for the fs type?
>
> And, problem number 2. I have a Iomega Zip drive (Paralelle SCSI). It is
> very simple to get it working in Linux. But I haven't the slightest idea
> how to even get FreeBSD to know it exists. How can I make FreeBSD notice
> it?

Parallel or SCSI?  If SCSI, and *if* your SCSI card is supported (I
stupidly purchased an Adaptec 2920 thinking "Gee, it's Adaptec, it should
be officially supported"...not realizing it is an ex-Future Domain
controller) then the dmesg command should tell you if it was recognized
and what the drive id is.  If I remember correctly, there is very detailed
information about ZIP drive usage in the Handbook/FAQ/mail archives.

(PS: I am aware of the 2920 driver written using PAO/NetBSD structures,
but since I'm tracking 2.2-stable on my home machine it doesn't seem to
work).

> Problem number 3. I am on a regular analog line. 56k motorola modem surfr.
> Once again, getting ppp to work in linux is very simple. I can get FreeBSD
> to dial out using pppd and connect. It will assign me a dynamic IP and
> everything. Except, the only problem is, whenever I try to connect to a
> remote host or do anything other then connect to localhost, I get "unknown
> host". I've tried everything I know of. I have edited /etc/resolv.conf to
> the correct NS's and a few other things. But everything I seem to do
> doesn't work. Any ideas of what can be wrong?

See the Handbook on setting up "user PPP".  Not nearly as difficult.

--
John-David Childs (JC612)       Enterprise Internet Solutions
System Administrator            @denver.net/Internet-Coach/@ronan.net