Date:      Wed, 28 Oct 2015 21:14:04 +0000
From:      James Lodge <James@Lodge.me.uk>
To:        "freebsd-jail@freebsd.org" <freebsd-jail@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Ip not configured on local interface

>Hello,
>
>I'm running a FreeBSD 10.2 system and running jails created by ezjail.
>I'm getting an error on jail creation that the IP selected for the
>jail is not configured on any local interface, for example
>192.168.0.1.
>
>This machine has only a single NIC connected to the network and I'm
>cloning it repeatedly to a lo1 interface.
>
>After reading list traffic I'm wondering if my method, which I last
>used several years back in the 5.4 days, is no longer valid.
>Performance on my jails is sluggish, sometimes they have a hard time
>reaching the internet sometimes they don't work at all, for example I
>have a caching nameserver defined on the 192.168.x.x subnet and jails
>on that subnet can't reach it.
>
>Is there something better out there than ezjail? If so, how hard will
>it be to migrate configurations over? I've got two jails, the first
>the caching nameserver, the second a web server/test server with a
>great many packages.
>
>Thanks.
>Dave.

Hi Dave,

So you cloned lo1, is the IP of the error proned jail an alias address on t=
he lo1 interface or do any interface reside on the subnet 192.168.0.0/24

here is my lo1 interface that my ezjail's use. One alias for each jail.=20

lo1: flags=3D8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
        options=3D600003<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6>
        inet 172.16.1.2 netmask 0xffffffff
        inet 172.16.1.3 netmask 0xffffffff
        inet 172.16.1.4 netmask 0xffffffff
        inet 172.16.1.5 netmask 0xffffffff
        inet 172.16.1.6 netmask 0xffffffff
        inet 172.16.1.7 netmask 0xffffffff
        inet 172.16.1.8 netmask 0xffffffff
        inet 172.16.1.9 netmask 0xffffffff
        inet 172.16.1.10 netmask 0xffff0000
        nd6 options=3D29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>

Regards
James =