Date:      Sun, 20 Aug 2000 11:25:03 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Matt Thomas <cdt4668@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Kernel traps (was: FreeBSD 4.1-STABLE is about as stable as windows98)

On Saturday, 19 August 2000 at 14:43:50 -0400, Matt Thomas wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I have been having a problem for quite some time now with FreeBSD
> bombing out with a Page Fault 12 error in the kernel.  I have been
> reading the list for over a year now and have noticed in the past
> few months a few people mention the same problem.  All I have read
> is that it deals with a network overflow in the kernel and it is
> fixed.

This statement doesn't make it clear that you understand what a "page
fault error" really is.  There are multiple possible reasons.

> I am writing this to say it is indeed not fixed.

Which bug?

> I have noticed the problem since 4.1-RC3 and still do this very day
> am having the page fault and reboot on a 4.1-STABLE cvsup'd
> yesterday.  I wake up and my computer is sitting there not booted up
> waiting for me to say yes to write to the boot record and it is
> getting quite annoying.

"Yes to write to the boot record"?  What is that? That doesn't sound
like a bug in FreeBSD.

> I cannot keep a BSD system up for only 2 days when my 4.0-STABLE
> went 100 days uptime no problem.  Someone PLEASE fix this bug.

It would be nice to know which bug you're talking about.

> I cvsup and make kernels every day hoping it will get rid of this
> problem but alas it doesn't.  Page Fault error 12 is kicking my ass
> and I have seen other people post this problem buy nothing has come
> about of it.  Thanks for your time, please fix my BSD, this is
> getting quite annoying.

If you have problems with the system crashing, we're interested.  But
you need to give a few details.  The first thing we need to see is a
backtrace from a dump.  Refer to the online handbook for details on
how to do that.

Greg