Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 2002 13:20:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/38801: sasl_apop_patch.gz breaks LOGIN mech (SMTP AUTH)

The following reply was made to PR ports/38801; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To: "Seva Gluschenko" <gvs@rinet.ru>,
	<FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc: <noc@rinet.ru>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 15:16:18 -0500

 From: "Seva Gluschenko" <gvs@rinet.ru>
 > making Cyrus SASL library (used for SMTP AUTH) from ports results
 > to non-working LOGIN authentication mechanism. Experiments show this
 > situation to be result of sasl_apop_patch application.
 > >How-To-Repeat:
 > cd /usr/ports/security/cyrus-sasl
 > make
 > make install
 >
 > then recompile sendmail with SASL (as described in /etc/mail/README,
 > /etc/defaults/make.conf and sendmail documentation), install sendmail,
 > change sendmail configuration file and restart sendmail.
 >
 > N.B.: It wasn't tested against pwcheck method, only with SaslDB.
 > Try every MUA which is capable of LOGIN authentication (e.g. MSOE 5.5
 > and higher). Sendmail will continuously re-request password, strings
 > in maillog will look like
 >
 > Jun  1 20:37:39 kolokol sm-mta[26436]: g51GbdVS026436: demo.rinet.ru
 > [195.54.192.69] did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection
 > to MTA

 I have rebuilt sendmail w/Cyrus-SASL support, and I can only reproduce the
 problem if "/usr/local/lib/sasl/Sendmail.conf" has the pwcheck_method set
 to"sasldb" (default) and the user hasn't been added to the sasldb database.
 Changing pwcheck_method to "pwcheck" in Sendmail.conf, and restarting
 sendmail, allows OE to use the LOGIN authentication method.

 The Sendmail.conf file is even mentioned in the
 PREFIX/share/doc/cyrus-sasl/Sendmail.README file.

 This PR can be closed as there is no problem with the APOP patch.

 Scot