Date:      Mon, 23 May 2005 10:18:16 -0700
From:      Kachun Lee <kachun@pathlink.com>
To:        kris@obsecurity.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.4 panic at lockmgr

"Kris Kennaway" <kris@obsecurity.org> wrote in message
news:<20050521063233.GA51618@xor.obsecurity.org>...
 >On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 04:39:19PM -0700, Kachun Lee wrote:
 >> I upgraded a server from 4.10 to 5.4-rel and it paniced at soon as I
put >> some load on it...
 >> panic: lockmgr: thread 0xfffffffe, not exclusive lock holder
0x76fe0300 >> unlocking
 >> The hardware is a Intel 7501 with a single 3G Xeon 6G mem. I tried >>
disable option MP and made no difference. Any help or suggestion!?

 > Run 'show lockedvnods' and then 'trace <pid>' for each pid listed.
 > Also, if you can explain how to reproduce this it would be greatly
 > helpful.
 >
 > Kris

Thanks for the info. I will try 5.4 on that server again on this Thur/Fri
(I am not in the office for these few days).

It was hard to tell what really triggered that. The server is one of our
NFS servers. With that first panic, I did not notice it right away. The 2nd
panic, I had a top running and was staring at it since reboot. When it
panic'ed (at ~6 minute uptime), the load climbed to only around 2-3. There
is nothing weird showing on top. Since this is one of our production
servers, I could not do too much experiment with it.

I had set up a similar system with the same MB/CPU on the bench. And it ran
the same 5.4-rel kernel, with some benchmark programs, over the weekend
without problem. However, I do not have a way to simulate all the network
traffic to that box. If you have any idea what I can try to isolate the
problem a little more, let me know.

Regards
Kachun