Date:      Sun, 7 Mar 1999 01:00:21 +0000
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Hethersett <Hethersett@Btinternet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What do i download

First, please don't send HTML email.

Hethersett wrote:

> I visit Ftp.cdrom.com very often and i see that they are running
> FREEBSD on there Shell, i have found it on Cdrom.com but im not sure
> what i have to download so i can install it on my Pc as all readme
> files do not help me.

That depends how you want to install it (cdrom, ftp, etc). Someone has
suggested buying the CD-ROM, which is one way. For my first installation
I downloaded the boot floppies, and the contents of the "bin" and
"manpages" folders under /pub/FreeBSD/[version]. This is a rather
minimal installation, but it was a start. Soonish after that I got a
free 2.2.6 CD set. Since you're in the UK you'd probably be better off
downloading FreeBSD from sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk instead of ftp.cdrom.com,
both keep it in /pub/FreeBSD.

You may be able to get a free CD set with version 2.2.6 on, which
although old, may be sufficient to get you started. Contact
aw1@stade.co.uk (Adrian Wontroba) for information on those CD sets. If
you like it enough buy the latest version from Walnut Creek, currently
version 3.1.

Also, check the handbook page on this subject:
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install.html

--
Ben Smithurst
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk