Date:      Fri, 2 Feb 2001 02:09:05 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Anatoly Karp <karp@math.wisc.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Q] ports vs ports-stable

--/WwmFnJnmDyWGHa4

On Fri, Feb 02, 2001 at 12:03:02AM -0600, Anatoly Karp wrote:

> I am tracking -STABLE sources branch, but being
> relatively new to FreeBSD I am somewhat confused
> about a sound ports tracking strategy. Namely,
>=20
> 1) is it true that, at any given moment,
> a particular port may not work properly
> (on a -STABLE box)?

Yes. Obviously we do what we can to make things work, but ultimately
you get what you pay for :-)

> 2) if so, is there a way for me to adjust
> my "ports-supfile" to only track "stable"
> ports?
>=20
> (in particluar, I noticed the existence of
>=20
> ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/ports-stable/
>=20
> - is this what I want?)

There is only one ports collection - it is not branched like the
source code has a -current and a -stable branch. The above links
actually both point to the same place:

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root  207         5 Feb 27  2000 ports-current -> ports
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root  207         5 Feb 27  2000 ports-stable -> ports

Kris

--/WwmFnJnmDyWGHa4

--/WwmFnJnmDyWGHa4--